- Grate 1 cup fresh organic ginger.
- Place in large mayo jar.
- Add 4 tablespoonfuls table sugar.
- Fill jar with filtered water.
- Cover with cloth and let sit on the counter.
- Each day x 7 days add 1 tsp grated ginger and 1 tsp sugar and stir.
You will see bubbles come up when you stir it. That is the bacteria fermenting the sugar. The sugar will be turned into alcohol which will evaporate.
After 7 days filter through a strainer and keep the juice in the fridge. I add one ounce of the juice to carbonated water or some type of spritzer tonic water. It makes an awesome gingerale.
You can use the ginger over in a second batch.
Fermented ginger helps to stimulate gastric acid release and can be used place of digestive enzymes in many cases. Be careful if you drink too much you can get heartburn.